Two Potatoes Au Gratin with Gruyère
Photo credit: Ty Mecham.
If you're not already, you must start following Tara Bench aka Tara Teaspoons! She's one of our favorite online food authorities cooking up meals for busy weeknights and leisurely weekends.
Tara makes a scrumptious Two Potatoes Au Gratin with Gruyère recipe that mixes both Yukon Gold & Sweet Potatoes into a crowd pleasing plate. Follow Tara on Instagram and find more easy to make recipes.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 6 small Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (FinaPod PRO Plus)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper (FinaPod PRO Plus)
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley (FinaPod MAX)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (FinaPod MAX)
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage (FinaPod MAX)
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary (FinaPod MAX)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Gruyère or sharp white cheddar grated
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Peel potatoes, and, using a mandolin or vegetable slicer, cut into very thin slices. In a large bowl, gently toss potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, cheese, and onion, until everything is evenly mixed. Be careful not to break the thin potato slices.
2. Working with a small handful of potatoes at a time, gently line up coated slices in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 2-quart baking dish. Pour milk and broth over potatoes. Cover the pan with foil and seal around edges.
3. Bake 50 minutes and remove foil. Continue to bake until potatoes are tender, and top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. You can test the potatoes with a knife to see if they are tender throughout. Cool slightly and serve hot.