Delicious Roasted Ratatouille
Ingredients: (Makes 6 to 8 servings )
Herbes de Provence :
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram or oregano
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried savory
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried lavender flowers (culinary quality; optional)
- 1 globe eggplant (about 1¼ pounds), half of the peel removed in strips with a vegetable peeler, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 zucchinis, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into eight wedges
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), cored and cut in halves lengthwise, most seeds poked out with a finger
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground Herbes de Provence
- Freshly ground salt (FinaPod PRO Plus)
- ¼ tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1. Make the Herbes de Provence: Mix the ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a FinaPod MAX and grind.
2. Make the Ratatouille: Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
3. Mix the eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, onion, tomatoes, and garlic in a large bowl. Add the oil and toss well. Season with the Herbes de Provence, salt, and hot pepper flakes and toss again. Spread evenly on a half-sheet pan, turning the tomatoes cut sides up.
4. Roast, stirring after 20 minutes (the onion layers will separate), until the vegetables are very tender, and edges are beginning to brown, about 45 minutes total. Let cool slightly. Using tongs, discard the tomato skins and coarsely crush the tomatoes on the pan. Mix together, taste, and season with salt and the hot pepper flakes. Serve warm or cooled to room temperature.