Easy Cheese Straw
Dec 12, 2022
Cheese straws are one of the easiest and best of all appetizers for entertaining a crowd. It's the perfect last minute recipe for a party, or just to make a weeknight dinner special. If you wish, provide warm marinara sauce or a cold dip for dipping.
This tasty recipe was created by Kate Gilbert. Kate is a recipe developer and content creator who loves teaching home cooks how easy it can be to make beautiful meals.
- Flour for dusting
- 1 sheet thawed frozen puff pastry*, preferably all-butter
- 1 large egg, beaten until foamy
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns (use PRO Plus pod)
- ¼ teaspoon minced dried garlic (use PRO Plus pod)
- ⅔ cup/50 g freshly grated cheese, such as Parmesan or Romano
(or a combination; use a box grater)
- Using a FinaMill, grind the basil, oregano, peppercorns, and garlic into a small bowl. Add the cheese and mix well. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the pastry and press gently with your palms to make the mixture stick.
Lightly flour a work surface. Unfold the thawed pastry onto the surface, long side facing you. Pat and press on the pastry to smooth out the creases. Lightly brush the top of the pastry with some of the beaten egg.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Using a ruler and a pizza wheel or large knife, cut the pastry crosswise into evenly into 12 equal strips, each about 1 inch wide. (It works best to draw the pizza wheel towards, not away, from you.) Transfer the strips to the baking sheet. Refrigerate to chill and firm the pastry, 10 minutes or up to an hour.
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375ºF/190ºC. One at a time, hold a strip at both ends and twist in opposite directions to make a spiral. Space the strips apart on the prepared sheet, pressing the ends onto the sheet to discourage unwinding.
Bake until puffed and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool until warm or room temperature and serve. These are best served the day of baking.
* Most frozen puff pastry comes in a box one large or two smaller two sheets, so save the remaining pastry for another use, or double the recipe to make 24 straws.
Watch the Video Here: