Australian Wagyu Steak
This week’s recipe, from our friends at Aussie Beef, is perfect for September grilling. With its copious marbling and luxurious buttery tenderness, authentic Australian Wagyu beef is fully traceable and raised sustainably with the highest quality standards. It is among the most sought-after meats in the world. Enjoy this Spice-and Herb-Crusted Wagyu beef recipe. It is a proven winner for anyone cooking outdoors on the “barbie.”
Portion size: 8- to 10-oz. steak
- 2 Tbsp. cracked black peppercorn (PRO Plus)
- 2 Tbsp. coarse ground coriander (PRO Plus)
- 1 Tbsp. sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Fennel seed (PRO Plus)
- 1 tsp. dried garlic (PRO Plus)
- 1 tsp. allspice (MAX)
- 1 tsp. cumin seed (PRO Plus)
- 2 Tbsp. dried thyme leaves (MAX)
- Four 8- to 10-oz. Australian Wagyu strip steaks, 1/2-inch thick lengthwise cut
- To taste Pink Himalayan FinaSpice salt (PRO Plus)
1. Preheat a grill to HIGH heat.
2. Fill your FinaPods with the whole spices and dried herbs the recipe calls for.
3. Grind the specified amounts into a bowl and combine them to create the spice mixture.
4. Season the steaks with a generous amount of salt and the spice blend and leave the steaks out at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the spice to penetrate the beef.
5. Sear the steaks on the grill for 1 minute and then turn them a quarter turn every minute for 4 minutes to avoid burning the spice rub and give a nice and even sear.
6. After 4 minutes, flip the steaks over and repeat the same process on the other side—8 rotations in total.
7. They should achieve a perfect Wagyu medium to medium rare, approximately 130 degrees °F on a meat thermometer.
8. Allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes and then serve immediately.
About Aussie Beef
Aussie Beef represents the tens of thousands of Australian beef ranchers who sustainably raise animals in the ideal grasslands of Australia. They have been humanely raising beef cattle here for over 200 years. Aussie Beef doesn't sell any products, but we help those that do, to inspire and educate home cooks and food enthusiasts who seek a natural, healthy, and sustainable red meat choice.
Australian Wagyu is available at retailers nationwide. For a handy where to buy tool; recipe inspiration; and cooking tips go to www.aussiebeefandlamb.com.