Garlic & Rosemary Prime rib
Equipment & Prep
- 5 lbs ribeye roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- use FinaMill, set to coarse to grind Sea Salt, perfectly okay to be generous
- use FinaMill, set to coarse to grind black pepper for extra aroma and taste, perfectly okay to be generous
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons miced fresh rosemary or use FinaMill to grind dry rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Rub roast on all sides with oil, salt and pepper. Turn on exhaust fan, add roast to hot skillet and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer roast to a plate. When cool enough to handle, rub garlic and rosemary all over.
- Place roast on a rack in the pan with the fat side up. Roast for 1 hour, turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Do not remove roast or open oven door until 20 minutes before it is time to serve.
- Remove roast 20 minutes after reheating. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of the beef drippings. Add mushrooms to hot skillet and saute until well browned, about 8 minutes. Mix broth, wine and mustard; add to mushrooms and simmer to blend flavors and reduce slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour mushroom sauce into a bowl; set aside.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board; remove rack from skillet. Pour off excess fat, if any. Set skillet over medium-high heat; return mushroom sauce to pan heat to a simmer. Add cornstarch and continue to simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about a minute. Carve meat and serve with the sauce.